Biosecurity Advisory Committee
The Biosecurity Advisory Committee was established in 2006 as an advisory body of the Kangaroo Island Natural Resources Management Board.
The principal role of the Committee is to provide a forum for the open discussion of biosecurity matters relevant to the community of Kangaroo Island.
- Provide advice to the Kangaroo Island Natural Resources Management Board (the Board) on biosecurity and pest plant and animal management issues and programs for Kangaroo Island;
- Provide strategic direction and support to projects and programs addressing biosecurity issues for Kangaroo Island;
- Promote the objectives and principles of the Board’s Biosecurity and Animal and Pest Control programs and initiatives by taking into account the needs of the entire region;
- Facilitate communications to, and involvement of, the broader Kangaroo Island community on locally relevant biosecurity issues relating to land, biodiversity, marine and water resources management.
The Committee consists of board and community members with a broad range of skills and knowledge in biosecurity and primary production (marine, aquaculture, agriculture and horticulture). Nominations for community members are sought from the Kangaroo Island community with appointments made by the Kangaroo Island Natural Resources Management Board.
Member selection is based on experience in land management, marine science, pest plant and animal control, community engagement and natural resource management.
Current Biosecurity Advisory Committee members:
- Richard Trethewey (Chair)
- Peggy Rismiller
- Ventia Bolwell
- Richard Glatz
- Wayne Veitch
- David Connell
- Peter Davis
- Vacancy (x1)
Nominations are open for positions on the Kangaroo Island Natural Resources Management Board Biosecurity Advisory Committee. Nominations close 31 July 2017.
For further information please contact the Kangaroo Island Natural Resources Management Board at the Natural Resource Centre on 8553 4414 or drop in to the Centre at 37 Dauncey Street, Kingscote, and talk to our Biosecurity Liaison Officer about how you can support the biosecurity of Kangaroo Island.