Water affecting activities
Water resources on Kangaroo Island are precious and need to be managed sustainably. This includes watercourses, dams and catchment landscapes.
Some activities can have adverse impacts on the health and condition of water resources and the ecosystems that depend on them, as well as on other water users. These water affecting activities include:
- constructing or enlarging dams, drains or other structures that collect or divert water
- placing/depositing solid materials in a watercourse (e.g. buildings, erosion control, constructing water crossings or dumping materials)
- excavating material from a watercourse (e.g. excavating or cleaning soaks, waterholes and on-stream dams)
- destroying vegetation in or near a watercourse (e.g. removal of reeds, riparian vegetation)
- drilling, deepening and back filling wells and bores.
Permits for water affecting activities
Water affecting activities need to be managed carefully and require a permit. Please download the relevant form below, complete and send with the permit fee to:
Water Resources Officer
Natural Resources Centre
37 Dauncey Street
Kingscote SA 5223