Supporting sustainability in schools
The Natural Resource Management (NRM) Education Program supports environmental sustainability in Northern and Yorke Region schools through activities, lessons and support tailored to each school’s individual needs.
The NRM Education team works in partnership with the Department for Education and Child Development (DECD) to implement the Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative SA – an internationally recognised best-practice model guiding schools in their exploration of sustainability.
Our sustainability education programs provide relevant, practical and powerful learning opportunities for students and educators, and encourage enquiry-based learning, problem-based learning and future-orientated thinking.
We support schools with:
- developing a school environmental management plan to ensure long term sustainability of programs and projects
- links to expertise, resources, grants, contacts and loan equipment for environmental sustainability projects
- implementing the principles of Education for Sustainability and engaging the whole school
- visits and meetings with principals and staff to discuss needs and opportunities.
We support teachers with:
- professional development sessions on a range of topics
- curriculum planning support
- classroom education sessions on a range of environmental issues
- on-ground action projects, such as bush gardens.
We support students with:
- youth voice opportunities, through the Young Environmental Leaders Program and school-based environment groups
- opportunities for hands-on experience in environmental management and restoration through the Youth Creating Habitat program
The NRM Education program is proudly sponsored by Caring for Our Country and the Northern and Yorke Natural Resources Management Board.
For more information on what we currently offer, see our 2017 Education Packs:
Download the 2017 Northern and Yorke NRM Education Calendar
Partnering with community
School field days
With the support of the NRM Education team, Landcare and environmental groups run environmentally-themed school days. These are community-driven events that have been very successful at introducing primary school students to various aspects of our environment and associated management challenges.
NRM Board and NRM groups
The Northern and Yorke NRM Board and NRM groups provide financial assistance to schools through the Northern and Yorke Community Grants Program and local project funding, to undertake environmental projects as part of the school curriculum.