River Murray Youth Council
If you are in high school and interested in learning more about your local environment, want to take environmental action, or are looking at environmental career pathways then the River Murray Youth Council (RMYC) is for you. Along with other like-minded high school students, you will:
- increase your awareness and get hands-on experience with managing our environment
- learn about our region’s environmental issues from natural resource management professionals, guest speakers and mentors
- meet new people and learn new skills like public speaking
- have the power to take action on environmental issues
- be part of a network of youth environmental leaders.
Click on the poster below for more information on our RMYC programs for 2017.
2017 RMYC Lower Murray information poster
2017 RMYC Upper Murray information poster
Youth Council members can choose to get involved in a range of fun and interesting opportunities, including:
- team building and leadership camps and activities
- forums held during term or in school holidays
- adopting a local patch, such as Maize Island Conservation Park, and assisting park rangers
- tree planting and monitoring local flora, fauna and waterways
- visiting places of local significance
- designing and implementing a NRM project in the local area
- presenting to your peers about environmental issues at your school and at student forums
- presenting RMYC actions to groups like the NRM Board, NRM groups and Local Action Planning groups
- developing school environmental action plans
- attending the SA Youth Environment Conference and delivering workshops
- forming school environment groups to undertake school and community-based environmental projects.
How to join
Click on the registration pack below that’s relevant to you for more information on our RMYC programs for 2017.
Lower Murray RMYC welcome pack , application form and information brochure
Upper Murray RMYCwelcome pack, application form and information brochure
Wondering if you are in the Upper Murray or Lower Murray? The Upper Murray covers students in the Riverland, while the Lower Murray includes students from Mount Barker, Murray Bridge, Strathalbyn, Goolwa, Meningie, Mount Compass, Mannum, and surrounding areas.
See our teacher information packs for more information about how you can support your students to get involved.
Lower Murray teacher information pack
Upper Murray teacher information pack - contact Bec Stevens
Where are they now?
Read about some of the achievements and experiences of former students involved in the RMYC in the report "River Murray Youth Council–Where are they now?"
Upper Murray NRM Education Coordinator
08 8580 1820
Lower Murray NRM Education Coordinator
08 8536 5622