The Sustainable Irrigation program has helped South Australia demonstrate national best practice in water-use for irrigation. Providing practical and relevant support to irrigators in the Murray-Darling Basin region, this program acknowledges that the national issue of sustainable water-use requires a local to national approach. This is particularly important in the Murray-Darling Basin within the context of drought, climate change and food security.
In recent years the South Australian Murray-Darling Basin Natural Resources Management Board has taken on the key role of a Delivery Partner for the Australian Government’s Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure Program (SRWUIP). Projects funded by via SRWUIP help increase water-use efficiency in rural Australia and are focused on delivering substantial and lasting returns of water for the environment, securing a long-term future for irrigation communities and delivering value for money. This investment has also ensured that South Australia remains at the forefront of sustainable irrigation practices. The Sustainable Irrigation program will continue working in partnership with the local irrigation community to achieve this outcome.
The Sustainable Irrigation Program is working towards the following goals:
- Minimise impacts of irrigation induced saline groundwater flows to water or ecosystem assets
- All water resources managed sustainably by 2018
- Improve water quality to achieve the regionally endorsed environmental values by 2030
- 100% of natural resource managers incorporating climate change adaptation into their forward planning or management by 2030
- Irrigators engaged in water use planning
- Irrigators with increased capacity and flexibility to make business improvements
- Irrigators with increased knowledge and capacity to further improve irrigation systems
- Increased accountability (irrigator and operator level) in water resource management
- Irrigators with increased capacity to manage reduced water availability.
Do you want to keep up to date with what is happening along the River Murray in the SA Murray-Darling Basin region? Subscribe to the River Murray Update here
You can also access back issues, media releases and other information here