Water meter self-reads in prescribed water areas
Provide a meter self-read
Provide your meter read by submitting a meter reading form.
How often do I need to do a self-read?
Check your licence or works approval to see how often you need to submit a self-read. It will be at least annually.
Licence requires an annual read
If your licence requires an annual read, read your meter between 1-14 July and submit by 31 July each year.
Licence requires a quarterly read
If your licence requires a quarterly read, read your meter and submit on the following dates each year:
- 1-14 October and submit read by end of October
- 1-14 January and submit read by end of January
- 1-14 April and submit read by end of April
- 1-14 July (end of year read) and submit read by end of July.
I need help to do a self-read
To do a self-read:
- You will need your: instrument (water licence/works approval) number, instrument holder name (exactly as it is on the licence) and meter serial number.
- Open the meter reading form. It can be used on any mobile device and follow the instructions.
- Enter one name only on the form, even if you have more than one name recorded on your licence.
- Record the volume displayed on your meter. For more help you can download the 'how to read your meter' fact sheet .
- Take a photo of your meter when you do your read. This can easily be attached to the form.
- Call your local office if you are unable to use the online form.
Water usage advice
Every time you submit a self-read, we will provide you with your water usage advice
statement. This will help you monitor your water use activities.
You do not have to do a self-read if you:
- are not required to meter; however if you do have a meter you can submit readings to us, and the information will be used to inform future management strategies for the water resource.
- you have been granted a deferral on the installation of a meter
- you are still within a grace period for the installation of a meter
- you haven’t yet been issued a licence.