Nine SA National Landcare finalists announced
19 July 2018
The nine SA finalists of the 2018 National Landcare Awards announced recently have been acknowledged and congratulated by the SA Murray-Darling Basin (SAMDB) and Adelaide Mount Lofty Ranges Natural Resources Management Boards.
Natural Resources SAMDB community engagement manager Sandy Gunter said the National Landcare Awards celebrate the achievements of Landcare volunteers around the country who dedicate their valuable time and energy to caring for the land and water that sustain us.
“All nine SA finalists have been deeply involved in protecting or improving the local environment, farms, bushland, wetlands, waterways, schools and region.
Ms Gunter said the awards are an opportunity to recognise and congratulate the finalists and all Landcare champions who generously donate their time, knowledge, resources and expertise to conserve and improve the regions natural resources.
“Our natural resources are critical to ensuring that we are able to continue to produce food, fibre and wine as well as having a vibrant tourism industry,” she said.
The community is being urged to show the champion Landcare finalists appreciation and vote for them.
The nine SA finalists in the 2018 National Landcare Awards and categories are:
- Australian Government Excellence in Sustainable Farm Practices Award - Barossa Improved Grazing Group
- Australian Government Partnerships for Landcare Award - Goolwa to Wellington Local Action Planning Association
- Austcover Young Landcare Leader Award - Grace Bassett
- Fairfax Landcare Community Group Award - BirdLife Australia Gluepot Reserve
- Rio Tinto Indigenous Land Management Award - Isobelle Campbell, Mannum Aboriginal Community Association
- Coastcare Award - Hindmarsh Island Landcare Group
- Woolworths Junior Landcare Team Award - Mount Compass Area School Swamp Ambassadors
- Australian Government Individual Landcarer Award - Peter Watton
- Australian Government Innovation in Agriculture Land Management Award - Tom Robinson
Voting is now open and closes on Wednesday 10 October 2018.