This farm water calculator has been developed to assist landholders in the Eastern and Western Mount Lofty Ranges to estimate how much water they need for different purposes including stock, domestic, irrigation and industrial. Start using the calculator now, or scroll down to read more about how it works.
If you are using Internet Explorer and experience issues with the calculator - please try using an alternative browser such as Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
This estimate of water requirements can be used to support property water planning, including:
- broad understanding of total property water requirements
- evaluating the reliability of water sources to match water requirements and understanding any supply limitations
- planning for current and future water requirements to match specific production goals
- monitoring water use for possible improvements in efficiencies and identifying a surplus or shortfall in water.
If you are a licensed water user, the calculator may identify that your current and/or future licensed water requirements are significantly different to your water allocation. Your annual water use, recorded by water meter/s, may also help to confirm a surplus or shortfall in your water allocation. This presents an opportunity or need to trade water. Water trade is one way to help get the balance right for you - buy in more water if more is needed or potentially sell water if it is not required.
If you'd like to transfer/trade water in the Western Mount Lofty Ranges, please note that this is subject to assessment as per the principles in the Western Mount Lofty Ranges Water Allocation Plan. For information about transfer applications, forms, fees and the assessment process, please ring the Department for Environment and Water licensing office in Adelaide on (08) 8463 6876. Alternatively visit the Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges Natural Resources Management Board Permits and Licences web page.
Note that the data contained in this farm water calculator is provided for general information and should be used as a guide only. The information should not be used as the sole basis for decision making. You are advised to exercise caution and seek independent professional advice before entering into any investment or financial obligation based on the results from this calculator.
The calculator involves a five step process:
- Property location to determine the relevant climate zone. This is required so that irrigation requirements (based on rainfall and evaporation as well as crop type and area) can be calculated.
- Unlicensed water use, such as stock and domestic use and other purposes such as firefighting and chemical application of non-irrigated crops.
- Licensed water use for irrigation (requires a water licence and allocation).
- Licensed water use for industrial and commercial purposes (requires a water licence and allocation).
- Results page giving a summary of the estimated water requirements.