Land management support
Managing land on Kangaroo Island (KI) more sustainably is critical if the natural resources management aims for the island are to be achieved. Ensuring the right information is available to help people improve soil and land condition, increase productive capacity and reduce the impacts of land degradation processes is key to best practice management on KI. Specialised technical support, information sharing and assistance are available from local staff as well as visiting technical experts in a wide range of sustainable agriculture fields including carbon farming initiatives.
nrmFarm is live
nrmFarm is ready to start mapping your property. We are sure you will enjoy the additional features and user-friendly format of the new program.
Click here to start.
Regional Landcare Facilitator
The Regional Landcare Facilitator supports land managers, community, industry and Landcare groups, general community and NRKI to deliver best practice land management on the island.
The program is jointly delivered by Natural Resources KI and Rural Solutions SA, and provides:
• high level technical advice to landholders and the KI Natural Resources Management Board
• awareness and capacity building of best practice land management techniques through field days, farm walks, written material and liaison with relevant industry and community groups
• assistance to land managers and community groups with OGW funding 2018-2019 applications for sustainable agriculture or biodiversity improvement projects
• soil health monitoring
• a conduit between the community, Natural Resources KI, Commonwealth Government agencies, PIRSA, Rural Solutions SA and SARDI for land management issues
• assistance to the community to gain access to information related to sustainable land management.
Have a look at the Creating Creek Crossings video, which was developed in 2016 for KI land managers.
For more information
Senior Soil and Land Management Consultant, Rural Solutions SA
Ph: (08) 8553 4949 or 0419 846204
Wind-proofing your farm: Increasing farm productivity with shelterbelts 2018
Creating a creek crossing fact sheet 2016
Sustainable farming news articles:
Kangaroo Island soil health report: results from 2011-2012 soil tests
Farm planning for profit
Natural Resources Adelaide Mount Lofty Ranges has an events calendar which lists Courses, Field Days and Workshops that may of interest to land managers.