Kangaroo Island native plant nursery
About the nursery
The Kangaroo Island (KI) Native Plant Nursery and seed bank was originally established at Parndana School with the help of Greening Australia to supply seed for direct seeding program for farms in that area.
The nursery has in excess of 50,000 tubes of island provenant plants – approximately 70% of these fill orders and the remaining 30% are available for general purchase.
Native Plant Nursery: fire recovery fund
Following the bushfires on Kangaroo Island which saw over half of the island burned, the Native Plant Nursery has established a fund with our partners at Nature Foundation SA to help restore habitat on the island, both for our wildlife and to help protect our farmer's livestock. If you would like to make a donation to the fund you can do so here.
It is critical that the nursery is now able to support recovery efforts on the island so please give generously. Your donation will be used to provide fire affected landholders with a diverse range of KI’s native plants, together with tree guards (where needed), at no cost.
All donations $2 and over are tax-deductible.
You can also donate via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to BSB:105900 Acc No: 963747240
Name: Nature Foundation
Description: (Your name and) KINF
Please email NatureFoundationSA@nfsa.org.au to advise you have done the EFT.
Thank you to everyone who has supported already!
Remember, without habitat there is no wildlife.
About the plants
The nursery offers well over 100 different species of KI native plants which can be used for re-vegetating land, windbreaks, coastal plantings and home garden use.
The primary species of plants available are eucalypts, acacias and melaleucas. Many of these have specific requirements about where they grow and some are listed as rare or endangered on KI.
Please note: The nursery will be closed from Wed 8 April until Mon 20 April reopening to the public from the 5th May.
The nursery is located at 22b Telegraph Road, Kingscote and is open two days a week, Tuesdays & Thursdays.
Tuesdays 9 am-1 pm.
Thursdays 9 am-5 pm.
All other times open by appointment only or if the nursery gates are open please feel welcome to drop in.
For larger orders of 300 or more plants, we collect seed from around the area where the plants are to be grown, to ensure that provenance is continued. Plants grown from provenance seed have excellent survival rates as their genetics are adapted to tolerate those particular environmental conditions.
Orders are now being taken for 2021!
If you would like plant stock ready for collection next year, please place your order with the nursery no later than 28 August 2020. Not sure of what to order? take a look at our plant list here
Under 50 tubes/pots in total
Plant in 50mm black tube $3 ea
Plant in 50mm green tube $4.50
50 plus tubes/pots in total
Plant in 50mm black tube $2.20 ea
All prices include GST.
A range of guarding materials and stakes are available to purchase from the nursery.
Enquiries can be made at any time of year to the Nursery Coordinator by calling 0437 322 692 or contacting Kangaroo Island Natural Resources Centre.