How we track progress
Monitoring at local and regional scales helps us to establish:
- a baseline understanding of the condition of our natural resources
- whether the condition of natural resources is improving or declining and the context of these changes
- whether our management activities are making a difference.
Information for monitoring is collated from a broad range of sources including:
Monitoring, evaluation, reporting and improvement programs in our region
Measuring and evaluating program outcomes and improving our knowledge and practice as a result are vital steps in the Northern and Yorke’s (NY) NRM Board’s programs and planning for the future.
Our monitoring programs:
- contribute to state and nation-wide monitoring and evaluation programs and local natural resource management goals
- help the NY NRM Board meet its obligations to funding partners
- ensure our programs and activities are consistent with sustainable management of the region's natural resources.
A monitoring, evaluation, reporting and improvement framework has been developed as a companion document to the NRM Plan. This framework outlines the context, process and tools needed for successful monitoring, evaluation, reporting and improvement (MERI) at all levels.
The six regional targets, introduced in the NY NRM Plan are analysed for data availability, actions needed and potential partners and to indicate gaps in knowledge for reporting on progress towards the targets.