Young Environmental Leaders Program
The Young Environmental Leaders Program is FREE and open to students in Year 5-7. The exciting new format provides four students from each school with outstanding opportunities to develop as young leaders with a connection to and respect for their local environment.
Aims of the program
- To ensure our young people have a connection with nature and their local environment so they can appreciate it into the future.
- To involve more schools and provide students with the opportunity to develop as young environmental leaders.
- To encourage the ‘ripple effect’ with students teaching peers, and teachers sharing back at school and with the wider school community.
What is involved?
- Teachers select four Year 5-7 students per school
- Forums have a ‘connecting with nature’ theme and include hands-on activities and skill development
- Students and teachers/mentors attend one forum each term with a different theme
- Previous themes have included connecting with nature, native flora and fauna, climate change, Indigenous culture, taking action, and water for the future
- Schools are welcome to join even if they can’t commit to attending every term
2020 upcoming dates
- Term 1: 11 March 2020 (Martin Bend Reserve, Berri)
- Term 2: 3 June 2020 (TBA)
- Term 3: No official YEL forum
- Term 4: 4 November 2020 (TBA)
Murraylands, Mallee and Coorong
- Term 1: 17 March 2020 (Coorong National Park)
- Term 2: 16 June 2020 (TBA)
- Term 3: 8 September 2020 (TBA)
- Term 4: 27 October 2020 (TBA)
Hills and Fleurieu
- Term 1: 24 March 2020 (TBA)
- Term 2: 23 June 2020 (TBA)
- Term 3: 15 September 2020 (TBA)
- Term 4: 3 November 2020 (TBA)
Upper Murray NRM Education Officer
08 8580 1800
Lower Murray NRM Education Officer
08 8532 9100