Volunteers play a major role in natural resource management (NRM) in the SA Murray-Darling Basin region. Their contribution of time, energy, expertise, equipment and resources is extremely valuable and underpins the sustainable management of our region's natural resources.
Volunteering is a rewarding experience for people of all ages. Volunteers make new friends, learn new things, have fun and keep fit – all in the beautiful surroundings of the SA Murray-Darling Basin!
Natural Resources, SA Murray-Darling Basin has developed a volunteer strategy to increase the contribution of, and support for, NRM volunteering in the region. To achieve this aim, the following objectives have been identified:
- improve recognition and acknowledgment of volunteer contributions and skills
- increase recruitment of new volunteers
- ensure effective communication between volunteers and other stakeholders
- provide adequate funding to support volunteer programs
- ensure the safety and well being of NRM volunteers
- establish effective management and governance systems for volunteer programs
- develop knowledge and skills of volunteers and volunteer managers
- ensure technical support is available to volunteers.
There are many opportunities to get involved as a volunteer and a range of programs to ensure volunteers are supported and recognised for their valuable work.