Adapting to climate change
Natural Resources SA Murray-Darling Basin (SAMDB), together with land managers, is aiming to maintain and enhance the biodiversity values of the region. Climate change is expected to have long-term impacts in South Australia. It will affect water resources, agriculture, forestry, fisheries and the natural environment, development of our towns and cities, and contribute to human health concerns. For this reason, a climate change adaptation plan has been developed for the SAMDB region.
This plan aims to:
- identify how climate change will impact the region
- identify risks: those parts of the environment, society or economy that are most vulnerable to the effects of climate change
- fill current information gaps
- identify priorities for regional action.
The final plan is available for download: Building resilience to a changing climate—climate change adaptation plan for the South Australian Murray-Darling Basin
A summary of the plan is also available: Building resilience to a change climate—A community summary
Who is involved?
The following stakeholders are actively involved in the project:
- South Australian Murray-Darling Basin Natural Resources Management Board
- Regional Development Australia (Murraylands and Riverland)
- Local Government Association
- Murray and Mallee Local Government Association
- Murray and Mallee Zone Emergency Management Committee
- University of Adelaide
- Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources.
What progress has been made?
Stakeholders have contributed local expert knowledge to an integrated vulnerability assessment (IVA) of the economic, social and environmental assets for the region that:
- provides an agreed reference point for the actions of regional organisations
- proposes and prioritises mitigation and adaptation options
- considers the region’s capacity to adapt to climate change impacts
- considers risks of any actions affecting others adversely
- merges project activities for long term sustainability.
PowerPoint presentations from the IVA stakeholder forum are available for download:
Natural Resources SA Murray-Darling Basin
- South Australian Fire and Emergency Services Commission
- Regional Development Australia
- Local Government Association of South Australia
- Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources